DeWayne and Joy

DeWayne and Joy

Friday, September 17, 2010

Idaho Bound

It’s another long one, folks, so get that coffee and settle in.  Be sure to click on any pictures you like to enlarge them.

The repair man was right on time yesterday morning and spent about an hour working on our misbehaving slide-out, and only charged us $75 (smile) so we once again were on our way and left Great Falls around 11:00, heading south. 

I gave the camera a break til we were almost to Helena since I had already taken pictures of that area to the point that we took the boat tour a couple of weeks ago.  It didn’t stop us from enjoying it all over again, tho.

Past that point, I was so in awe of the countryside that I snapped picture after picture of the gorgeous landscape.  It was cloudy and sprinkling off and on, so some of the pictures are darker than I’d like, but I kept taking them anyway.
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 005
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 009
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 015
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 022
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 023
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 026
I could NEVER get tired of Montana and it’s beauty.  We were noticing some fall colors, so I tried to capture some of that also.
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 027
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 033
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 040
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 042
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 043
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 046
Further south, the mountains looked like they were covered in thick lush velvet.
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 048
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 058
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 062

Idaho falls and declo Idaho 064
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 074
Then things got “rocky”
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 078
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 079
Mile after mile of God’s handiwork.
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 085
Antelope standing in a a pasture by the road:
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 086
There was an entire herd of them further down the road, but the picture was just a blur and I snapped it on the fly.

More “Eye Candy” in Clark Canyon:
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 088
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 094
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 095
We came upon Clark Canyon Reservoir and left the interstate to drive around the lake, then park and stretch our legs for a while. 
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 104
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 105
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 106
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 108
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 114
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 115
Back on the road and I’m still in awe of the scenery.
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 116
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 117
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 118
It began to sprinkle rain again, and then there it was!  IDAHO!
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 120
It didn’t take long to make it on into Idaho Falls, where we parked for the night at Wal Mart.  We walked over to Famous Dave’s BBQ and had a great meal before we settled in for the night.  I’ve never seen so many RVs in in one parking lot and it was still daylight when we arrived.  We got up this morning to find even more around us.  We got around and hit the road again and had only 115 miles to go for the day.  Destination:  Declo, Idaho. 

The terrain was much flatter than yesterday with mountains in the distance off and on, but we passed by some beautiful farm land and miles and miles of sagebrush, plus occasional streams and lakes.
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 124 
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 127
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 132
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 128
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 134
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 135
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 136
It was a nice, easy drive to Declo, Idaho and the Village of Trees RV Resort.  What a nice place!
Idaho falls and declo Idaho 143
After setting up and settling in, we were really happy about the weather here and the warm temperatures.  It was around 75 degrees when we arrived here and the sun was shining.  DeWayne checked the current weather in Great Falls, where we left yesterday, and it was 33 degrees and light snow falling!  Talk about getting outta Dodge in the nick of time!

It was so nice here that I wanted to sit outside and just soak up the sunshine, the pretty park, and the light breeze this afternoon.  DeWayne was visiting with Brad (owner of the park) at the picnic table, discussing trucks, RV’s, horsepower and all that “man stuff” when I set up my lawn chair and settled into it.  I was about three feet from a tree and in no time, I heard something and looked over to see a squirrel on my side of the tree, just staring at me.  And me without the camera!

Brad said the squirrels around here aren’t really afraid of people because they get fed so much, which explained why the critter came within three feet of me in the first place.

Well, me being me, I promptly ran in the RV to get Camera and peanuts, but Mr. Squirrel was gone by the time I got back out there.  So I scattered peanuts between the tree and my chair and waited.
Squirrel 002
Still no squirrel, so I settled in my chair and picked up my book and my coffee.  Before long, I heard a noise and looked up to see Mr. Squirrel looking at me again from the tree.
Squirrel 004
Then he made short work of getting down to the ground and grabbing peanuts, munching them down as he went.
Squirrel 007
Squirrel 009
Getting closer and closer to me
Squirrel 012
Squirrel 021
Squirrel 018
When he ran out of peanuts, he marched right over under my chair looking for more, then proceeded to stand on my foot and look around briefly.  Then he ran over to the picnic table and around the little “yard” looking back at me to see if I would produce more peanuts. 
Squirrel 020


Squirrel 019
I finally got out of my chair and went back in the RV for more peanuts, but when I returned, Mr. Squirrel had left, probably on to the next “human sucker” for another snack.  Oh well, maybe I’ll see him or some of his buddies in the morning.  I hope it’s warm enough to enjoy my morning coffee outside.

We seem to have a gremlin in the RV.  For some reason ( we have no clue) all the clocks say something different.  The atomic clock says 1:30 a.m., both our cell phones say 11:30, the battery clock in the living room says 10:30, the battery clock in the bedroom says 11:30, my computer says 1:30 and DeWayne’s computer says 12:30.  Is that spooky, or what?  Would somebody please tell us what time it is?  lol
 
Anyway, I could just keep rambling on, but I’ll shut this off and get it posted.  We leave here tomorrow heading for Winnimucca, Nevada for another night at Wally World, then on to Fallon where we will be for possibly a month.  So tune in next time for another episode of “The Breeze”, but in the meantime……

HAPPY TRAILS!

1 comment: