DeWayne and Joy

DeWayne and Joy

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Rockin’ and Rollin’ in Williams, Arizona!

We are currently in the Canyon Gateway RV park in Williams, Arizona and the wind is blowing something awful!  We had planned to drive to the Grand Canyon today, but after seeing the weather warnings for today, we decided it would be much better to just stay in out of the wind.  We are getting just what they predicted….25 to 30 mph sustained winds with 40 to 50 mph gusts, so the RV is definitely swaying in the wind. 

What’s hard to believe are all the motorhomes and fifth wheels that have pulled out of here today to travel in these horrible conditions.  Not us!  Nope, we’ll just wait it out, thank you.

I’m a little disappointed that we won’t see the Grand Canyon this trip, but it’s not going anywhere and we’ll be back in the vicinity again, for sure.  DeWayne made a trip to the grocery store this morning and I made up some almond shortbread cookie dough that is chilling in the fridge for cooking later.  I’m wishing now that I had the fixins’ for some cornbread.  I have a craving for homemade soup today, but oh well.  I’m fine with crackers in my soup, but DeWayne loves cornbread, so I’ll save the soup for another time and cook some pork chops this evening.

We left Vegas yesterday morning for a leisurely 200 mile drive.  I was excited that we would be crossing the newly opened Hoover Dam bypass bridge and had the camera ready.  The bridge had only been opened 10 days ago and the purpose of the bridge was to save time for travellers as well as better protect the dam, since it is a high risk terrorist target.  You can still go to the dam, but it is no longer part of the main road. 

I had seen a picture of the new bridge on the internet that I will post here:
Hoover Dam bridge
Now, isn’t that gorgeous?  And I couldn’t wait to get pictures of this beautiful scenery and the dam from the bridge.  Well……it wasn’t to be.  When we got to the bridge, the concrete barriers on each side were so high that all we could see was this:
Vegas to Williams, AZ 016
Vegas to Williams, AZ 017
Vegas to Williams, AZ 020
Vegas to Williams, AZ 021
And I didn’t realize the Arizona state line was in the middle of the river, so I’m glad I had the camera up and going when we passed the sign.
Vegas to Williams, AZ 022
I’m getting a little ahead of myself, so I’ll back up a little.  I got these pictures of Lake Mead soon after we left Las Vegas, heading east on I-40.
Vegas to Williams, AZ 007
Vegas to Williams, AZ 009
After crossing the bridge, we saw lots of pretty scenery as ascended and descended the mountains.
Vegas to Williams, AZ 027
Vegas to Williams, AZ 044
Notice the river in this next picture?
Vegas to Williams, AZ 061
Vegas to Williams, AZ 065
Vegas to Williams, AZ 069
The sky was a beautiful blue and the clouds sometimes looked like spun sugar.
Vegas to Williams, AZ 073
The scenery changed again and we started seeing a lot of cedar trees, then later, pine trees.
Vegas to Williams, AZ 080
Vegas to Williams, AZ 084
Vegas to Williams, AZ 085
Vegas to Williams, AZ 088
Vegas to Williams, AZ 101
I had to get a shot of DeWayne as he “multi-tasked” going down the highway.
Vegas to Williams, AZ 091
We finally made it to Williams and the Canyon Gateway RV park around 5:30 yesterday evening and got set up.
Vegas to Williams, AZ 103
Vegas to Williams, AZ 111
Vegas to Williams, AZ 115
Vegas to Williams, AZ 116
We went to Denny’s where they serve breakfast all day.  DeWayne loves their waffles and I wanted some bacon and eggs.  Yummmm!  It really hit the spot, so we came back home as full as a couple of ticks, settled in to watch TV for a while and both went to bed fairly early. 

Now, like I said, we’re riding out the high winds and staying indoors today.  We will be leaving in the morning and moving on to Grants, New Mexico for a couple of days.  Oklahoma is getting closer all the time and I’m anxious to see all the folks back home.

That’s all for now, folks!  If we don’t blow away, I’ll post again in a couple of days, but in the meantime…..

HAPPY TRAILS!!!

2 comments:

  1. What a shame you didn't get to go to the Grand Canyon. I hope you haven't blown away. I was watching the news today about how windy it was in your area. I'm with you, I see no reason to drive in heavy wind if you don't have to. The scenery is beautiful there, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer you didn't make it to the Grand Canyon, but I know you will return to that area. I loved that whole area so much. When we were in Page, AZ I found a brochure that talked about "the grand circle" and Page was the center. In a circle around Page was the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Arches Nat'l Pk, Canyonlands, Coral Reef, and Monument Valley. Great area to spend some time when you go back. And an absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete